5 shared solar updates
Community Renewable Energy believes in the power of shared solar, which is growing in popularity in the US and abroad. Here’s some of the latest news about the shared solar revolution from across the nation.
- Community solar gardens can help low-income households save on utility bills. “Utilities are among the single biggest beneficiaries of energy assistance,” said Jason Edens of the Rural Renewable Energy Alliance. “Frankly, energy assistance is yet another fossil fuel subsidy.” The program, Community Solar for Community Action, will kick off in Minnesota. (CleanTechnica)
- The Solar Electric Power Association is backing shared solar and initiating a research project designed to boost access to community-owned solar power thanks to a grant from the US Department of Energy SunShot Initiative. (Alt Energy Magazine)
- In California, organizations are turning to crowdfunding for shared solar projects that benefit community organizations. (Solar Gardens)
- During its first week of accepting applications, a proposed solar farm in Minnesota received requests from over 425 (!) residents.
- Wintery Minnesota is full of support for community-owned solar, and the state recently released solar gardens guidance for consumers. (Minnesota Renewable Energy Society)